/* */ Iceberg's Photoblog.: AMS - BRU
Google

Monday, May 14, 2007

AMS - BRU

Amsterdam - Brussels

This was really an impromptu trip. I booked the tickets. Booked the accomodation. Took the leave(s) necessary. All done, except the planning. The Amsterdam trip was spurred by San Min when she mentioned Keukenhof. So there was an objective for Amsterdam. Brussels was suggested by a colleague as it's rather near Amsterdam. Only on the week when I am due to fly, another colleague mentioned Atomium. There, that's my objective for Brussels. Two major objectives, with many blanks in between to fill as the trip goes along!

On with the trip.
I took Transavia. Reached Amsterdam and decided to go to the Hostel first. It was pretty near the Central Station. There was a big blue sign with "Bob's Youth Hostel". I took the room at the nearby extension block as it was a dorm for 6. Not bad, except for the really steep stairs to climb.

[The stairs]

I spent the day roaming around Amsterdam before meeting Vincent for dinner. I knew Vincent since we were in RI. We were room mates for two years when we went JC.

Back to Amsterdam.

The weather was kind of miserable. Chilly, rainy, and windy. That, apparently was not the usual weather. Anyway, I realized some things that were very symbolic of Amsterdam, besides the infamous Red Light District. They were the Clogs, Cheese and Windmill.

[Cheese]


[Clogs]

Amsterdam, at first glance, is pretty complicated to walk around. The trick is to realize that the roads are more or less concentric. If you walk on the right path, and keep on walking, you may seem to have only travelled a short displacement though you have walked a lot. Note: Displacement vs Distance.

[Some of the scenaries in Amsterdam]

2nd Day at Amsterdam was to fulfill the objective of visiting Keukenhof. Again, the weather is bad.

Keukenhof is a show case of flower in Netherlands every year in Spring. That's when the flowers blossom. So, let's show case the flowers.

Keukenhof




























Some top down series of flowers at Keukenhof 2007. Was kinda unhappy of the bad weather. So this was the result of looking high and low for different view.










Some kind soul was feeding ducks with apple! Well, I couldn't snap the whole flock of ducks. Here's two of them.




3rd and final day, Brussels.

From Amsterdam to Brussels, I took the train. Remember to ask for Youth Discount if you're less than 26. That saved me about 8 euros. When I reached Brussels, damn, it looked like it was going to rain again. The weather seems to be bad everywhere I go. Anyway, I decided to go the hostel to put down the stuff first. Luckily I met some friendly French girls along the way, and also the fact that the hostel is near their house. Anyway, in Belgium, people speak Dutch (Northern Belgium), French (South), German (East).

After that, it's off to Atomium.
Atomium is an Atom look-a-like building.

[Atomium]
This is a standard view of the Atomium.




By playing with exposure, it gives a totally different view. This, is my favourite Atomium picture of the lot. Absolutely favourite.








This was shot after I came out of the Atomium. The rain blew the clouds away. Hence the deliciously fabulous blue sky.




I totally like the blue sky. But the underexposed version is my favourite due to the different perspective it gives and alternative dimension given the fact that the sky has total overcast.


Labels:

Site Feed
RSS Feed
Atom Feed